(Adopted by the Roanoke County Board of Supervisors on January 23, 2001)
(Amended with approval by the County Administrator on March 9, 2011)
It is the policy of Roanoke County that personal information about website visitors will be collected only to the extent necessary to provide the service or benefit desired; that only appropriate information will be collected; that the website visitor shall understand the reason the information is collected and be able to examine their personal record which is maintained by Roanoke County. Further, Roanoke County will not disclose this information to any private or public entity outside of Roanoke County unless authorized by the visitor or as required by the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
Request for Personal Information
- This website will automatically collect and use certain data concerning those visiting our website only for statistical purposes and to improve and enhance the services available to visitors.
- This data may include, but not be limited to: IP address, browser type and version, website directing visitor to Roanoke County, date and time of visit, length of stay.
- We may ask you to provide additional information to allow you to utilize certain features of this site.
- Examples of the type of information that may be required to use these features include:
- Email address
- Phone Number
- Mailing Address
- Examples of online features that require this information:
- Form to contact County staff.
- On-Line procurement
- If collected, we will use this information only for the purpose requested. If you choose not to provide us personal information, you will still be able to visit and use our website; however you may not be able to participate in all of the on-line services which are offered over this website.
- You may review or edit the information you have provided using the same on-line application or service with which you provided the information initially.
- For site security purposes, and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic. This monitoring software is used solely to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts will be made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
We maintain our records in accordance with our obligations as defined by applicable Commonwealth of Virginia statutes. These statues include, but are not limited to, the Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act, the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, and by any applicable U.S. federal laws and regulations.
Under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, any records in our possession at the time of a Freedom of Information Request might by subject to inspection by or disclosure to members of the public for any purpose they may desire.
Choice to Provide Information
There is no legal requirement for you to provide any information at our website. However, our website will not work without routing or client information and the essential technical information. Failure on the part of your browser to provide nonessential technical information will not prevent your use of our website. However, certain features on this website may be inoperable without the requested information. Failure on the part of your browser to provide optional information will mean that a particular feature or service associated with certain parts of this website may not be available to you.
Length of Time Information is Retained
We may keep your information indefinitely, or we may delete expired transaction routing information to free up server space. We do not try to obtain any information to link it to the individuals who browse our website. On rare occasions when a hacker attempts to breach computer security, logs of routing information are retained to permit a security investigation and in such cases may be forwarded together with any other relevant information in our possession to law enforcement agencies.
- Because of the dynamic nature of this website, we may place a "cookie" on your computer to enable us to enhance your visit to this website.
- We will only place the cookie on your computer if you request an enhancement or service that requires the use of a cookie.
- You will receive a warning prior to the cookie being placed on your computer.
- We do not gather any information from the cookie placed on your computer.
- You may contact the Roanoke County Webmaster to find out how to remove the cookie, should you choose to have it removed from your computer.
Links to Other Websites
Our website contains links to other websites maintained by other public and private entities. We do not control their privacy practices.
Customer Comments and Review
If you have questions about this privacy statement or the practices of this website, or if you choose to review or correct any information you previously submitted, please contact us at the Roanoke County CommIt office at (540) 777-8576.