Citizens throughout the Roanoke Valley can bring poisons, flammables, corrosives, and other materials to the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority during scheduled Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days. The events are held at the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority Tinker Creek Transfer Station, 1020 Hollins Rd, NE, Roanoke VA 24012.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Please call 540-283-6566 or preregister online.
Items that are accepted:
- Latex and oil paints in any size can. Paint can be liquid or dried. (Latex paint can also be dried and disposed of in the trash.) Maximum 5 gallons per visit.
- Aerosol cans of any kind.
- Paint-related products, such as paint thinner, stains, turpentine, polyurethane, polishes, and acetone.
- Automotive products, including motor oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, and gasoline. Maximum 5 gallons per visit.
- Any battery, from car and truck batteries to button batteries, lead acid batteries, alkaline batteries, nickel cadmium, and lithium batteries.
- Propane gas cylinders, 20 pound and 30 pound.
- Gardening supplies, such as solid or liquid pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, and fertilizers.
- Household cleaners, such as bleach, oven cleaners, bathroom cleaners, and any other alkaline/corrosive or acid cleaner.
- Polychlorinated biphenols (PCBs, for example, electrical switches and ballasts).
- Fluorescent bulbs.
Please do not bring these products...
- Any waste from a commercial establishment.
- Asbestos material (including roof and tar products) - contact RVRA for disposal help.
- Biologically active or infectious.
- Explosives (including ammunition) - contact Police Department.
- Cylinders (excluding 8 lb barbeque tanks).
- Radioactive materials (including smoke detectors).
- Medical waste.
For information on how to dispose of these wastes, contact Ed Hacker at 857-5050.