National Domestic Violence Hotline 1 (800) 799-7233
Operating around the clock, seven days a week, confidential and free of cost, the National Domestic Violence Hotline provides lifesaving tools and immediate support to enable victims to find safety and live lives free of abuse
Shelters, Programs and Services
State Programs and Services
- Turning Point - The Salvation Army’s Domestic Violence Shelter (540) 345-0400
- T.A.P. Domestic Violence Services - (540) 283-4813 / 24 Hour Hotline: (540) 580-0775
- T.A.P. Sabrina’s Place - Supervised Visitation (540) 777-3799
- Family Services of Roanoke Valley - Domestic Violence Program (540) 563-5316
- County of Roanoke Department of Social Services - (540) 387-6087 http://www.roanokecountyva.gov/index.aspx?nid=90
National Programs and Services
- Family Violence & Sexual Assault (Virginia Hotline)- Kids and Domestic Violence (A look at domestic violence from a kid’s perspective and what we all can do to help keep kids safe from domestic violence trauma.) 1 (800) 838-8238
- Virginia 2-1-1 - Get Connected-Get Answers. Connecting people with free information on available community services for Domestic Violence Services and Programs. Dial 2-1-1 from any phone.
Court Proceedings for Domestic Violence Cases
- www.LoveIsRespect.org. LoveIsRespect is a project of the National Domestic Violence Hotline and Break the Cycle. By combining resources and capacity, these programs reach more people to help build healthy relationships and save more lives.
- HopeLine provides ways for individuals to take action against domestic violence by donating used wireless phones and accessories. http://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/hopeline
- Roanoke County Jail (540) 283-3145. Information about release or status of a defendant: If the person who hurt you was arrested, the police have taken him / her to the Magistrate’s office at the Roanoke County Jail at 401 East Main St. Salem, VA 24153. The person may be held in custody until he or she goes before a judge or may be released on bond. If you want to know if the person is being held or has been released, call the Roanoke County Jail.
- VINE (Victim Information & Notification for Offender Custody Status) 1 (800) 467-4943 www.vinelink.com
- The Legal Aid Society of Roanoke Valley (Legal help for Low-income Victims of Domestic Violence) (540) 344-2080
- The Who, What and How of Virginia’s New Early Lease Termination Law for Domestic and Sexual Violence Victims—Virginia Poverty Law Center 1 (804) 782-9430
- I-Can! Virginia / Virginia’s Online Forms Completion Program for Protective Orders (Online Assistance with Protective Orders) Once you print the form, look at the top of the form. The form will indicate Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court-or-General District Court. Take the completed form to the designated clerk’s office. https://www.vacourtformhelp.courts.state.va.us/
Local Counseling Services
Resources for Victims of Sexual Assault
- Anger Management & Domestic Violence Alternative Program-Blue Ridge Counseling, LLC. (540) 343-5909
- Anger Management, Intimate Partner Violence, Relationship Counseling, Substance Abuse Issues - Family Service of Roanoke Valley / Sterling McLaughlin. (540) 563-5316 ext: 3003
- Fathers First - Pathways to responsible Fatherhood who want to learn / improve family relationships. (540) 767-6220
- Co-Parenting - Two Parents, Two Homes (Bethany Hall for a New Beginning) (540) 343-4261 ext: 308. This four hour class is designed to help parents focus on the responsibilities of parenting from separate households and keeping children out of the middle as the parents negotiate custody, visitation, child support, or divorce. A small class fee includes books.
- Forgotten Victims - Skills-Building groups for children who have witnessed domestic violence - [Mental Health America of Roanoke Valley] (540) 344-0931
Download a PDF of this page content
- Lewis Gale Medical Center - Forensic Nurse Examiner Program (540) 776-4000
- Carilion Clinic / Roanoke Memorial Hospital - Forensic Nurse Examiner Program (540) 981-7000
- SARA Inc. (Sexual Assault Response And Awareness) - The SARA Crisis Center services are free of charge, confidential and voluntary. SARA-24 Hour Hotline (540) 981-9352 / SARA office: (540) 345 7273
- VSDVAA - The Virginia Sexual & Domestic Violence Action Alliance is Virginia's leading voice on sexual and intimate partnerviolence. www.vsdvalliance.org.