Plantation Road Project
The Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvement project (Plantation Road Project) encompasses the length of Plantation Road (Route 115) from Interstate 81 to Williamson Road (Route 11), a distance of about one mile.
Proposed improvements include sidewalks, shared use paths, pedestrian crosswalks and signals, street trees, pedestrian-scaled lighting, a Hollins community identification sign, landscaping and drainage improvements. One of the primary goals of constructing the shared use paths is to connect Walrond Park with the Tinker Creek Greenway which then intersects with an extensive network of trails at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve.
The Plantation Road Project began in 2009 and since that time approximately $4.2 million in federal, state and local funds have been allocated for the project. These funds are being used to design and construct Phase I which includes:
- Pedestrian and bicycle shared use path on the west side of Plantation Road from Williamson Road to Walrond Drive;
- Street trees; and
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains.
The construction contract was awarded to S.C. Rossi and Company, Inc. and construction is underway. Overhead and underground utilities are also being relocated.
Lila Drive Intersection
The Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements project was awarded about $1.27 million in grant funds in 2016. The project includes:
- Traffic signal installation at the intersection of Lila Drive and Plantation Road;
- Pedestrian signals and crosswalks at the intersection;
- BSC Ventures/Double Envelope entrance realignment;
- Harris entrance closure on Plantation Road and relocation to Lila Drive;
- Wells Fargo entrance consolidation on Lila Drive; and
- Reconstruction of about 420 feet of Lila Drive to the new Harris entrance.
This project is currently in the Preliminary Engineering phase with construction advertisement anticipated in Fiscal Year 2021.
About $1.75 million in Smart Scale funds were awarded for the second phase of the Plantation Road Project in 2017. This project will include:
- Sidewalk on the west side of Plantation Road from Walrond Drive to Gander Way;
- Street trees;
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains;
- Intersection improvements at Walrond Drive; and
- Pedestrian signals at the Gander Way/Friendship Lane intersection.
Preliminary Engineering is slated to begin in Fiscal Year 2022 with construction anticipated in Fiscal Year 2024.
Subscribe to electronic updates on Plantation Road projects by emailing Megan Cronise.
Applications and Presentations
2016 Smart Scale Application for Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvements, Phase II
2015 Smart Scale Application for Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements
2013 Regional Surface Transportation Program Application
December 2013 Plantation Road Overview Presentation
2013 Transportation Alternatives Program Application
2011 Transportation Enhancement Program Application
Hollins Area Plan
Adopted in 2008 as part of the 2005 Roanoke County Comprehensive Plan
Plantation Road Corridor Study
completed by Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. for VDOT and Roanoke County
For More Information
Contact Megan Cronise, Principal Planner, by email
or by phone at (540)772-2106.