Plantation Road Project
The Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvement project (Plantation Road Project) encompasses the length of Plantation Road (Route 115) from Interstate 81 to Williamson Road (Route 11), a distance of about one mile.
Proposed improvements include sidewalks, shared use paths, pedestrian crosswalks and signals, street trees, pedestrian-scaled lighting, a Hollins community identification sign, landscaping and drainage improvements. One of the primary goals of constructing the shared use paths is to connect Walrond Park with the Tinker Creek Greenway which then intersects with an extensive network of trails at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve.
The project began in 2009 and since that time approximately $3.8 million in federal, state and local funds have been allocated for the project. These funds are being used to design and construct Phase One
- Pedestrian and bicycle shared use path on the west side of Plantation Road from Williamson Road to Walrond Drive; Sidewalk on the west side of Plantation Road from Walrond Drive to Gander Way;
- Sidewalk on the east side of Plantation Road from Williamson Road to Friendship Lane;
- Street trees, pedestrian lighting, crosswalks and pedestrian signals; and
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains.
- A Design Public Hearing for Phase One of the Plantation Road Project was held on November 20th, 2014. 60 percent plans for Phase One of the project were available for review and comment. About 50 people attended the meeting and viewed the exhibits and plan sheets. Roanoke County staff, VDOT staff and consultants were available to answer questions. Over 800 invitation letters were mailed to Plantation area property owners and residents. View all information presented at the meeting.
- A Citizen Information Meeting was held on January 30th, 2014. The Open House included Roanoke County staff, VDOT staff and consultants who were available to answer questions about the preliminary design of the project. Over 800 invitation letters were mailed to Plantation area property owners and residents and over 100 people attended the meeting. View all information presented and distributed at the Citizen Information Meeting.
Subscribe to electronic updates on Plantation Road projects by emailing Megan Cronise.
Applications and Presentations
2014 Regional Surface Transportation Program Applications (4)
2013 Regional Surface Transportation Program Application
December 2013 Plantation Road Overview Presentation
2013 Transportation Alternatives Program Application
2011 Transportation Enhancement Program Application
2009 Transportation Enhancement Program Application
Hollins Area Plan
Adopted in 2008 as part of the 2005 Roanoke County Comprehensive Plan
Plantation Road Corridor Study
completed by Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. for VDOT and Roanoke County
For More Information
Contact Megan Cronise, Principal Planner, by email
or by phone at (540)772-2068 ext. 282.