Plantation Road Project
The Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvement project (Plantation Road Project) encompasses the length of Plantation Road (Route 115) from Interstate 81 to Williamson Road (Route 11), a distance of about one mile.
Proposed improvements include sidewalks, shared use paths, pedestrian crosswalks and signals, street trees, pedestrian-scaled lighting, a Hollins community identification sign, landscaping and drainage improvements. One of the primary goals of constructing the shared use paths is to connect Walrond Park with the Tinker Creek Greenway which then intersects with an extensive network of trails at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve.
The Plantation Road Project began in 2009 and since that time approximately $4.2 million in federal, state and local funds have been allocated for the project. These funds are being used to design and construct Phase I which includes:
- Pedestrian and bicycle shared use path on the west side of Plantation Road from Williamson Road to Walrond Drive;
- Street trees; and
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains.
The project is in the process of being awarded for construction, which should begin in the spring of 2017. Overhead and underground utilities are also being relocated.
Lila Drive Intersection
The Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements project was awarded about $1.27 million in grant funds in 2016. The project includes:
- Traffic signal installation at the intersection of Lila Drive and Plantation Road;
- Pedestrian signals and crosswalks at the intersection;
- BSC Ventures/Double Envelope entrance realignment;
- Harris entrance closure on Plantation Road and relocation to Lila Drive;
- Wells Fargo entrance consolidation on Lila Drive; and
- Reconstruction of about 420 feet of Lila Drive to the new Harris entrance.
This project is currently in the Preliminary Engineering phase with construction advertisement anticipated in Fiscal Year 2021.
Funding has been requested for the second phase of the Plantation Road Project which will include:
- Sidewalk on the west side of Plantation Road from Walrond Drive to Gander Way;
- Street trees;
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains;
- Intersection improvements at Walrond Drive; and
- Pedestrian signals at the Gander Way/Friendship Lane intersection.
Funding awards will be finalized in June 2017.
- A Design Public Hearing for Phase One of the Plantation Road Project was held on November 20th, 2014. 60 percent plans for Phase One of the project were available for review and comment. About 50 people attended the meeting and viewed the exhibits and plan sheets. Roanoke County staff, VDOT staff and consultants were available to answer questions. Over 800 invitation letters were mailed to Plantation area property owners and residents. View all information presented at the meeting.
- A Citizen Information Meeting was held on January 30th, 2014. The Open House included Roanoke County staff, VDOT staff and consultants who were available to answer questions about the preliminary design of the project. Over 800 invitation letters were mailed to Plantation area property owners and residents and over 100 people attended the meeting. View all information presented and distributed at the Citizen Information Meeting.
Subscribe to electronic updates on Plantation Road projects by emailing Megan Cronise.
Applications and Presentations
2016 Smart Scale Application for Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvements, Phase II
2015 Smart Scale Application for Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements
2013 Regional Surface Transportation Program Application
December 2013 Plantation Road Overview Presentation
2013 Transportation Alternatives Program Application
2011 Transportation Enhancement Program Application
Hollins Area Plan
Adopted in 2008 as part of the 2005 Roanoke County Comprehensive Plan
Plantation Road Corridor Study
completed by Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. for VDOT and Roanoke County
For More Information
Contact Megan Cronise, Principal Planner, by email
or by phone at (540)772-2106.