The Commissioner of the Revenue's office administers Roanoke County's Real Estate Tax Freeze program for the Elderly and Disabled. You may qualify for a tax freeze if you meet the conditions below:
- The person or persons applying must be owners or partial owners and must occupy the dwelling on the real estate for which application is being made.
- Filing dates for this program are January 1 through March 15 each year.
- A dwelling jointly held by a husband and wife may qualify if either spouse is 65 years or over on December 31st of the year preceding the taxable year or permanently and totally disabled.
- The gross combined income of the owners and any relatives living in the dwelling during the preceding calendar year shall not exceed $56,566; however, the first $10,000 of income of each relative, other than a spouse or owner, shall not be included in such total.
- Effective 01/01/2009. The net combined financial worth, including equitable interests, as of December 31st of the preceding calendar year, of the owners, and of the spouse, shall not exceed $200,000. This amount shall not include the value of the sole dwelling and up to one acre of land.
For further Information call (540) 776-7116 or email:
Master Deputy Commissioner