Terms of employment include satisfactory physical condition, as determined by a medical history and physician's examination, to perform essential job functions of a Deputy Sheriff. In addition, maintenance of your current physical condition (factoring in age) is a condition of employment.
Other terms of employment include:
- Satisfactory mental condition, as determined by a psychological history and evaluation.
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must have a valid drivers license and good driving record.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a high school graduate or have obtained an equivalent certificate (GED).
- Vision must be correctable to 20/30 and pass a color vision examination.
- Must sign a "Conditions of Employment" contract agreeing not to use any tobacco products on or off duty. This condition is to be in effect during your tenure as a sworn Deputy Sheriff while the Heart/Lung laws or statutes of similar impact are in effect.
- Satisfactory completion of a thorough background investigation.
- Must agree to reside within a sixty (60) minute response time or a thirty (30) air mile radius from the Roanoke County Jail.
- Must successfully complete minimum required training as mandated by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- Successful completion of the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office field training and evaluation program.
- Completion of a twelve (12) month probationary period.