Charles I. Poff, Jr.
401 East Main St.
Salem, VA 24153
Ph: (540) 283-3102
Fx: (540) 387-6203
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Sheriff Charles I. (Charlie) Poff, Jr. welcomes you to the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office official Web Page. Since 1838, the Office of the Sheriff has proudly served the citizens of Roanoke County. Our deputies provide three main areas of service to the community--corrections, court security, and civil process. The Roanoke County Sheriff's Office has a total of 101 including sworn,part time and civilian personnel.
Learn more about State & County Quickfacts on population of 93,524 for Roanoke County
It is the mission of the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office to provide protection by isolating dangerous offenders from the community, security and order in all courts of jurisdiction, and effective processing and service of all civil papers in a professional manner, without prejudice or bias for race, religion, or ethnic orientation.
- To provide a level of supervision and security in the jail that ensures maximum protection to the community, staff, and inmates.
- To provide an environment that meets basic human needs and dignity, free from discrimination and harassment.
- To provide programs and services to incarcerated offenders that may enhance their vocational and educational skills, as well as community involvement and re-integration.
- To provide a secure and orderly environment in all Roanoke County Courts and the Virginia Court of Appeals.
- To process and serve civil papers issued by the courts in a timely and professional manner.
- To nurture the personal and professional development of employees.
The Roanoke County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing the highest level of public service while practicing the ultimate ideals of law enforcement excellence. Our employees are renowned for their professionalism, dedication to excellence, integrity, teamwork, community partnership, and commitment to maintaining the highest quality of life for the citizens & visitors of Roanoke County.
We commit to uphold the following values to those we serve:
- Service: Provide quality service to the citizens & visitors of Roanoke County.
- Respect: We will strive to treat all citizens, staff, and offenders with compassion and professionalism.
- Dedication: Commit to uphold the responsibilities bestowed upon us by the citizens of Roanoke County with all due diligence.
- Honor: Maintain the highest degree of moral and ethical standards in our professional and personal lives.
Sheriff's Office Food Drive for Salem/Roanoke County Food Pantry
Sheriff Warns Citizens About Jury Duty Scams
Roanoke County Sheriff Names Chief Deputy
Photo Gallery of Sheriff's Office Events
The Roanoke County Sheriff's Office is accredited by the American Correctional Association, the oldest and largest international correctional association in the world.
Roanoke County Sheriff's Office received accreditation by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission.
The Roanoke County Sheriff's Office fully supports the guidelines set forth in this law and has ZERO-TOLERANCE for any and all incidents of sexual abuse and sexual harassment in accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003.