Explore Becomes Newest Roanoke County Park
On October 1, 2013, Roanoke County began operating the Explore Park property, under a 99-year lease from the Virginia Recreational Facilities Authority. Over the next few months, Roanoke County will be creating a master plan for the property, with the long term goal of creating a regional outdoor attraction.
What to do at Explore NOW
• Hiking and biking - The park is already home to over 9 miles of IAMB-sanctioned mountain bike trails, and other areas to walk, enjoy wildlife, or have a picnic lunch.
• Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor's Center - Explore Park is home to a visitor's center
where parkway travelers can learn about the history of the region, and shop in a unique gift shop.
• Roanoke River Access - At the end of Rutrough Road in Roanoke County is a gravel parking area and boat launch for the Roanoke River. Day use is $2 per person, or $20 per year, with fees going towards future improvements at the site.
Prior to adopting the Explore Park lease agreement, Roanoke County officials held a public meeting to seek input from citizens, neighbors, stakeholders and other interested individuals about the future of the property.
summary of the presentation and public comments
taken at a Community Meeting about the lease on Thursday, September 19, 2013. As the master plan process continues for Explore Park, look for further public involvement.
Vision for the Future
Roanoke County is considering options for Explore Park such as:
- Special events: music festivals, seasonal events, wine festivals, distance runs
- Family outreach: Summer camps, children programs, family programs
- Rentals: pavilions, picnics, private events
- Tent and RV camping: primitive camping by permit, development of a RV campground
- Rental cabins
- Ropes and canopy tour
- Concessions/Food and Beverage and other revenue operations
For More Information
For questions about Explore Park, contact Scott Ramsburg at , (540) 777-6327.