: If you received a job offer from the County of Roanoke, please see the Employment Form Page
to pre fill out your paperwork. Please bring these documents with you on your first day of employment.
Please review all the
information below which contains a summary of benefits for full time employees
. For more detail on plans and rates, refer to links below. Any additional questions can be addressed during the benefits orientation for new employees.
Please print the "Are you prepared for your new employee orientation
?" Checklist to guide you through the new hire process.
Roanoke County offers two HealthCare plans through Anthem
The plans offered are KeyCare 200 and the higher deductible KeyCare 1000 with an Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA). The HRA is administered by Flexible Benefits Administrators.
Prescription coverage is provided by Express Scripts. When you enroll in an Anthem health plan, you will receive a separate insurance card from Express Scripts.
More information and Overview about Health Insurance
offers a plan through Delta Dental of Virginia
• Delta Dental Premier – covers dental and preventive services such as x-rays, cleanings and oral exams.
More information and Overview about Dental Insurance
Roanoke County offers a plan through UniCare
• UniView - Provides access to one of the nation's largest vision networks.
More information and Overview about Vision Insurance
There are three Virginia Retirement System
(VRS) Plans: Plan 1, Plan 2 and the Hybrid. Benefits vary depending on your membership date and vesting. See the detailed comparison guide to determine your plan and visit the VRS website for more information.
• Covers full-time employees.
• Employees contribute 5% of salary on a pre-tax basis.
• Enhanced benefits for Hazardous Duty Public Safety Employees (LEOS).
• Health Insurance Credit – upon retirement, you may be eligible for a health insurance credit to assist with the cost of your health insurance premiums.
More information and Overview about Retirement Plans
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
We offer two accounts that are administered by Flex Benefits Administrators
which allows employees to pay certain healthcare and dependent care expenses with pre-tax money.
More information and Overview about Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Roanoke County partners with Marathon Health for management of our Wellness program. The wellness program began because of our desire to help employee’s lead healthier lives and to stabilize the increasing costs of health care. As long as you’re enrolled in the County’s health insurance plan, you’re eligible to use the onsite health center and access all other services provided by Marathon. Your participation is completely confidential as the County does not have access to any of your personal health information.
• Once you are engaged in the wellness program, you will receive an incentive to help offset the cost of your insurance premiums.
More information and Overview about the Wellness Program
• A basic group life plan is carried on all full-time employees in an amount equal to 2 times your annual salary. As a member of the VRS, enrollment in the life insurance is automatic upon hire and the County pays the full cost of the life insurance premium.
• Optional life insurance benefit is available for additional amounts of coverage on yourself, your spouse and your children. As the name suggests, this is an optional plan, so you pay 100% of the premium cost.
More Information and Overview about optional life insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• There is the Employee Assistance Program, or EAP, which is administered by Carilion. The program includes up to 5 free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist or counselor, along with referral services for you and your household members.
• Short and Long Term Disability insurances are available to all full time employees. There are some differences to the coverage’s depending upon which VRS retirement plan you fall under.
Time off Benefits
Holidays – 8 established holidays and 3 floating holidays per calendar year
Paid Time off Accruals
(Fire & Rescue accruals vary)
• 0-4 years, accrue 20 days annually
• 5-9 years, accrue 23 days annually
• 10-14 years, accrue 26 days annually
• 15 + years, accrue 29 days annually
You may not carry any more than 400 hours at the end of each fiscal year.
Overview about Payroll