About the Master's Designation
Roanoke County's Commissioner of the Revenue Nancy J. Horn and her staff has earned their Master's Designation. This program is administered by the University of Virginia's Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, the University's School of Continuing Education, and the CDP Committee under the sponsorship of the Commissioner of the Revenue Association of Virginia.
The State Compensation Board sets the standards to be met by Commissioners and Deputies in the Commonwealth of Virginia in order to attain the designation of Master Commissioner and Master Deputy Commissioner of Revenue. The Weldon Cooper Center is also the official record keeper, responsible for keeping accurate, updated records for use by the membership of the Association.
This designation program was designed to enhance the professionalism of local government officials and their staff, ensure greater knowledge and accountability with the citizens and increase statewide uniformity with respect to office procedures and assessment practices.
Master's Designation Education Requirements
The Master's Designation, which takes a minimum of three years, requires extensive education and governmental experience along with the service to the Commissioner of the Revenue Association. Roanoke County's Master Commissioner of the Revenue Nancy J. Horn and her Master Deputies must be recertified each year by attending at least two meetings and at least one class every three years.
Staff Members with Certification
Staff members who have completed these requirements and have attained their certification are:
- Nancy J. Horn- Master Commissioner of the Revenue
- Doris Salyer - Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Chief Deputy since 2005
- Laura G Shelton- Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Real State Supervisor since 2006
- Kathy Gardner - Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Business Personal Property Supervisor since 2006
- Lorna Allie- Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue since 2007
- Natalie Wells- Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Tax Compliance since 2007
- Lelia Ann Alvis - Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Income Tax Coordinator since 2018
- Kristina Guilliams - Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue Tax Clerk II since 2018