- Plantation Road Project
Plantation Road Project
The Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvement project (Plantation Road Project) encompasses the length of Plantation Road (Route 115) from Interstate 81 to Williamson Road (Route 11), a distance of about one mile. One of the primary goals of the project is to connect Walrond Park with the Tinker Creek Greenway which then intersects with an extensive network of trails at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve. The original project was split into multiple phases due to funding constraints.
Phase I (Williamson Road to Walrond Drive): Completed October 2018
The $4.2 million project (federal, state and local funds) began construction in March 2017, was completed in October 2018 and includes:
- A pedestrian and bicycle shared use path on the west side of Plantation Road from Williamson Road to Walrond Drive;
- Street trees;
- A "Welcome to Hollins" gateway sign;
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains; and
- Underground and overhead utility relocations.
Lila Drive Intersection: Completed December 2020
The Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements project was awarded about $1.27 million in SMART SCALE funds in 2016. The project was completed in December 2020 and includes:
- Traffic signal installation at the intersection of Lila Drive and Plantation Road;
- Pedestrian signals and crosswalks at the intersection;
- BSC Ventures/Double Envelope entrance realignment; and
- Wells Fargo entrance consolidation and sidewalk on Lila Drive.
Phase II (Walrond Drive to Gander Way): Completed April 2022
About $1.75 million in SMART SCALE funds were awarded for the second phase of the Plantation Road Project in 2017. The finished project includes:
- Sidewalk on the west side of Plantation Road from Walrond Drive to Gander Way;
- Curb, gutter, and storm drains;
- Intersection improvements at Walrond Drive; and
- Pedestrian signals at the Gander Way/Friendship Lane intersection.
- October 31, 2018: A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and Walk for Phase One (PDF) was held at BSC Ventures/Double Envelope. View the photo gallery.
- August 28, 2018: After being improved to meet VDOT standards (PDF), Lila Drive was turned over to VDOT as a public road.
- March 8, 2017: A Groundbreaking Ceremony for Phase One was held at BSC Ventures/Double Envelope
- November 20, 2014: A Design Public Hearing for Phase One was held at Country Inn and Suites
- January 30, 2014: A Citizen Information Meeting was held at Country Inn and Suites
Subscribe to electronic updates on Plantation Road projects.
Applications & Presentations
- 2016 Smart Scale Application for Plantation Road Bicycle, Pedestrian and Streetscape Improvements, Phase II (PDF)
- 2015 Smart Scale Application for Lila Drive Intersection Safety Improvements (PDF)
- 2013 Regional Surface Transportation Program Application (PDF)
- December 2013 Plantation Road Overview Presentation (PDF)
- 2013 Transportation Alternatives Program Application (PDF)
- 2013 Presentation (PDF)
- 2011 Transportation Enhancement Program Application (PDF)
- 2011 Presentation (PDF)
- Hollins Center Plan Adopted in 2020 as part of the 2005 Roanoke County Comprehensive Plan
- Hollins Area Plan Adopted in 2008 as part of the 2005 Roanoke County Comprehensive Plan
- Plantation Road Corridor Study (PDF) completed by Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. for VDOT and Roanoke County