Residential: Installing a Swimming Pool or Hot Tub

Pools Banner

Select an option below to find information about Trade Permits for New Installations or Alterations to Existing Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical Systems.

  1. Do I Need a Permit?
  2. Who Should Apply?
  3. Documents
  4. Resources
  5. Process
  6. Payment and Fees
  7. Typical Inspections

Do I Need a Permit?

If you are doing any of the projects listed below, you will need a permit.
(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)

The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code requires a building permit for any swimming pool that is larger than 150 square feet in surface area, holds over 5,000 gallons of water, or is 24 inches or more in-depth. The code makes no distinction between in-ground, above-ground or inflatable pools, hot tubs or spas.

  • In-ground Pool – fiberglass, cement or vinyl lined
  • Above Ground Pool 
  • Hot Tub or Spa

If you disturb more than 2,500 square feet of land while installing the spa or swimming pool, you may also need an Erosion & Sediment Control (ESC) permit.