Modified County Services
Roanoke County Offices Closed to the Public
Effective Monday, March 23, 2020
Beginning Monday, March 23, all Roanoke County buildings will be closed to the public. All business will be done by phone, email or online. If necessary, in-person services will be by appointment only.
- The Department of Social Services will continue to offer limited services through their drive- thru window.
- The Roanoke County Courthouse will remain open with limited access. Please call ahead to inquire about services needed.
- An end date has not been established for these changes, but we plan to return to regular operation as soon as conditions allow.
- Administration (540) 772-2004
- Board of Supervisors (540) 772-2005
- County Attorney (540) 772-2007
- Economic Development (540) 777-2069
- Finance/Budget (540) 772-2020
- Human Resources (540) 772-2018
- Purchasing (540) 772-2061
- Real Estate Valuation (540) 772-2035
- Roanoke County Courts
- Circuit Court (540) 387-6205
- General District Court (540) 387-6168
- Juvenile & Domestic Court (540) 387-6165
Select the list of departments below for additional information specific about each department’s operations:
Building Safety and Permits
To inquire about building permits, plan reviews, submitting development plans, or building inspections we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2065 X1 or emailing email@example.com.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/302/Development-Services.
Clerk of Circuit Court
Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020, and until further notice, due to the rapid spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Roanoke County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office will be handling all functions only by appointment and/or based on legal need during our regular weekday hours of 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
- For more information, see the Clerk of Circuit Court’s COVID-19 Updates web page
- Call the Clerk of Circuit Court’s Office for additional information at (540) 387-6205.
- Direct telephone numbers to Clerk of Circuit Court services...
- Chancery (540) 387-6212
- Criminal (540) 387-6213
- Jury Duty (540) 387-6261
- Law / Probate / Guardian / Conservator (540) 387-6206
- Real Estate (540) 387-6208 or (540) 387-6211
Commissioner of the Revenue
To inquire about business license, personal property, business personal property, real estate tax relief for the elderly or disabled/veterans, real estate transfer information, state income tax assistance, excise taxes such as meals tax, transient, admissions, utility, we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2046 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/24/Commissioner-of-the-Revenue.
A brown dropbox is also located in the front parking lot to drop off payments and or information and forms.
The Commonwealth’s Attorney is restricting public access to the office by appointment only. Appointments may be scheduled by calling (540) 387-6174.
Roanoke County Office of Voter Registration & Elections is currently operating out of the Craig Center, located at 900 Chestnut Street in Vinton. The building is closed to citizens, but the Office is offering curbside absentee in-person voting services for voters eligible to participate in the May 5th Town of Vinton Election. Contact our office at (540) 772-7500 or email email@example.com with questions.
Information about the May 5 Mayoral and Town Council Election in the Town of Vinton:
- Download the absentee ballot application for the upcoming May 5 Town election.
- All voters registered in the Town of Vinton are encouraged to request an absentee ballot List “Reason Code 2A in Box 3.
- Curbside absentee in-person voting services for voters eligible to participate in the May 5th Town of Vinton Election is available at the Craig Center, 900 Chestnut Street in Vinton. Voters must call us at (540) 772-7500 to let us know when they are in front of the building.
- Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Requests for the May, June, and November elections can be submitted online via the Department of Elections’ Voter Information Portal.
- Anyone requesting an absentee ballot due to COVID-19 should list either reason code 2A on a paper/hard copy application or select "My disability or illness" as their reason via the online application.
- Register to vote by completing a Voter Registration Application
- Absentee Ballot Requests or Voter Registration forms may be sent to our office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to: Roanoke County Elections, P.O. Box 20884, Roanoke, VA 24018.
Parks, Recreation and Tourism
To inquire about Parks, Recreation and Tourism, we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 387-6078, ext 0, Mon-Fri, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyparks.com.
- You also can email us at email@example.com.
Effective May 23, 2020: Phased Re-Opening of Recreation Services, including Treetop Quest at Explore Park & Easing of Park Use Restrictions:
- Parks & Greenways (RoanokeCountyParks.com/COVID19)
Effective Saturday, May 23, playgrounds will re-open and limited recreational equipment such as basketball rims will return to our parks. Visitors must follow state-mandated guidelines for group size and social distancing while utilizing any park, trail or greenway. Picnic shelters and field rentals will not resume until Virginia enters Phase 2.
- Explore Park (ExplorePark.org)
- Treetop Quest – Our aerial adventure course & ziplines will resume daily operation on Saturday, May 23, with limits of 9 participants every 20 minutes, and enhanced sanitation and social distancing procedures.
- Visitor Center – The welcome and information center will resume daily operation on Saturday, May 23 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with reduced occupancy limits in place.
- Camping Services & Gear Rental – Reservations are currently being accepted for primitive camping, tent rental, cabins, and yurts offered by our vendor partners at Blue Mountain Adventures and Don’s Cab-Inns.
- Tube& Kayak Rental – Gear rental and shuttle services will begin at the park on Friday, May 22, running each Friday through Monday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Shuttle service modifications have been made for social distancing.
- Twin Creeks Brewpub – While this facility currently remains closed, our vendor partners are working to open over the next few weeks. Updates will be provided on the Twin Creeks Brewing website and social media.
- Summer Camps (RoanokeCountyParks.com/camps)
A limited lineup of full-day child care programs will be available beginning Monday, June 1 at Green Ridge Recreation Center and Brambleton Center. Registration will open to the general public on Tuesday, May 26. All half-day camps and summer camp programs at Camp Roanoke and Explore Park are canceled this season.
- Green Ridge Recreation Center & Splash Valley Water Park
These facilities are not eligible to re-open under Virginia’s Phase 1 guidelines, but we expect portions of the facility to resume operation in Phase 2 with capacity restrictions and enhanced sanitation procedures. Dates will be announced as soon as available. Members and season pass holders will receive direct communication on this status.
- Recreation Programs & Special Events
Adult leisure and family recreation programs scheduled through June have been canceled. Large community special events through August have also been canceled, including Artisan Saturdays, Touch-a-Truck, and Green Hill Highland Games. A new lineup of recreation programs with more strict social distancing procedures is currently being developed. After school programs remain open for registration for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Administrative Facilities & Athletics Leagues
Administrative offices at the Public Service Center located on Kessler Mill Rd. will remain closed to walk-in visitors. Citizens are encouraged to call (540) 387-6078 ext. 0 for inquiries or appointment visits with our staff. Youth athletics leagues have already been canceled for Spring 2020. No decisions have been made about the Fall 2020 athletics schedule.
Planning and Zoning
To inquire about land use or zoning matters we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2068 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/planning.
To inquire about Library Services, we provide the following information:
- All libraries are closed. The book drops are unavailable and drive-thrus are closed for book returns.
- Patrons can call with questions at (540) 777-8781, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Messages will be returned in the order received.
- We have increased our electronic resources, including books on Overdrive and cloudLibrary, and online databases. Patrons can sign up for an eLibrary Card on our website to gain access to our Virtual Library 24/7.
Visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/1970/Library for details and additional information.
Real Estate Assessment / Board of Equalization Hearing for April 30 Canceled
The April 30, 2020 Board of Equalization hearing has been canceled. Applicants for this hearing date will be automatically rescheduled for the next hearing date scheduled for July 30, 2020. For more information, call (540) 772-2035.
Sheriff’s Office / Roanoke County-Salem Jail
All outreach programs have been canceled until further notice, including gun safety classes, weekend trash pickup, and self-defense classes. Workforce programs will continue with Parks and Recreation outside venues only and also continue at the Regional Center for Animal Care and Protection (RCACP).
In addition, the Sheriff’s Office informs the public of other changes to services from the Sheriff’s Office and at the Roanoke County / Salem Jail:
- The lobby of the Roanoke County / Salem Jail will remain open to access the magistrate’s office only, but closed for all other services.
- Visits can be made online through ICS and off-site phone services are not impacted. Questions regarding phones or visits can be directed to Sgt. States at (540) 283-3131.
- Video visitation from the jail lobby to inmates at the Western Virginia Regional Jail has been stopped.
- Deposits to inmate accounts can be made online or through the mail. Anyone with questions about inmate accounts can contact Deputy Arrington at (540) 283-3128.
- Fingerprinting services for non-criminal matters have been stopped until further notice. Persons needing fingerprints taken may contact the Virginia State Police to inquire if they are still providing this service.
- Weekender / Delayed Reporting Effective May 21, 2020: All persons in the Weekender / Delayed Reporting program should call (540) 283-3162 and speak to a deputy. Any person scheduled to report to the Roanoke County/Salem Jail between May 18 and June 11 will need to report to the jail lobby on June 12 at 7:00 PM.
For more information, contact the Sheriff’s Office at (540) 283-3102.
To inquire about Social Services, we provide the following options:
- The lobby is closed to the public. The drive-thru in the back of the building is available. We are located at 220 E. Main Street, Salem, VA 24153.
- If you need to apply for benefits you can pick up an application in the drive-thru, apply online at www.Commonhelp.Virginia.Gov or by phone at 1-855-635-4370.
- To drop off verifications, please utilize the drop box in the rear of the building.
You may contact us by calling (540) 387-6087 or fax at (540) 387-6210.
To inquire about Real Estate and Personal Property tax payments, delinquent taxes, DMV withholdings, claims against your State income tax, and Animal License, we are providing these current options:
- The Treasurer’s Office is closed to the public.
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2056 or emailing email@example.com.
- Payments may be made at the dropbox in the front parking lot, online via credit cards, eCheck, or U.S. postal service.
- In-person, non-credit card payments, are accepted at the South County Library drive-thru window at 6303 Merriman Road, Roanoke, VA 24018, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Information is available online at www.roanokecountyva.gov/92/Treasurers-Office.
Tax Payment Information, Effective April 27, 2020
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Roanoke County Administration Center is closed to the public. The Roanoke County Treasurer’s Office recommends our citizens contact us via phone, or use our Internet site for bill inquiries, information, and requests during tax season.
- Citizens are urged to pay by check through the U.S. Postal Service or use our online payment options located on our website at https://www.roanokecountyva.gov/403/Pay-Online.
- For your convenience we have opened satellite offices for limited access during tax season for in-person payments (non-credit card payments) as follows:
• South County Library Drive-Through Window, 6303 Merriman Road, Roanoke, VA, 24018
• Glenvar Library Drive-Through Window, 3917 Daugherty Road, Salem, VA, 24153
• Vinton Library Drive-Through Window, 300 S. Pollard Street, Vinton, VA, 24179
These locations will be open beginning April 27, 2020, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The expected closure of these sites is June 12, 2020, but subject to change.
Drop boxes are installed for your convenience for check payments ONLY at the following locations:
• Roanoke County Administration Center, 5204 Bernard Drive, Roanoke, VA, 24018
• Hollins Library, 6624 Peters Creek Road, Roanoke, VA, 24019
Payments may be made at the dropbox in the front parking lot, online via credit cards, eCheck, or U.S. postal service.