League of Older Americans
Roanoke County Appointed / Ratified Members
- Charlotte A. Moore, Advisory Board
Three-year term expired March 31, 2017 (Appointed by the Board of Supervisors)
- Gloria Clark, Advisory Council
One-year term expires March 31, 2017 (Ratified by the County at the recommendation and appointment of the Local Office on Aging)
The intent of the League of Older Americans Advisory Council is not to duplicate services delivered by other agencies but to ensure the delivery of existing and new services that include:
- Acting as grantee and being the administering agency for programs and services, as well as initiating studies, establishing committees, and entering into contractual / coordinating agreements with other agencies
- Advising local planning bodies on all aging issues
- Assuring a system of services for the aging be developed, either through existing structures or directly through the league to meet the needs of the aging population in the Fifth Planning District
- Buying, owning, selling, assigning, mortgaging, or leasing any interest in real estate and personal property and to construct, maintain, and operate improvements thereon necessary or incident to the accomplishments of the purpose of the council
- Coordinating and evaluate existing services currently being offered to the aging
- Educating the general public on the conditions of the elderly citizenry
- Identifying unmet needs of older persons
- Providing elderly persons and handicapped persons with housing facilities and services specially designed to meet their physical, social, and psychological needs and to promote their health, security, happiness, and usefulness in longer living, the charges for such facilities and services to be predicated upon the provision, maintenance, and operation thereof on a nonprofit basis
- Serving as a strong advocate for the aging population
- Serving as the Area Agency on Aging, when so designated by appropriate sources, for the Fifth Planning District and to carry out the purposes of the Older Americans Act of 1965, as amended
The Advisory Board consists of nine members who represent the entire Fifth Planning District. The representative for Roanoke County is recommended and appointed by the Local Office on Aging, but ratified by the county.
The Advisory Council consists of 27 members, including one member appointed by the county, who serve one-year terms and may be reappointed.
For More Information
If you have any questions or would like meeting details, please visit the Local Office on Aging website.