Better Buildings, Safer Communities
The Office of Building Safety enforces the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code within Roanoke County. This includes plan review, permit issuance, and inspection of buildings and structures during the construction phase.
Our office establishes and enforces minimum requirements to safeguard the public health, safety, and general welfare through adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation, means of egress, property protection, stability, sanitation, structural strength, and systems efficiency.
Important Changes to Permit System
- Beginning October 28, 2019, the Office of Building Safety will transition to a new permitting system.
- Effective Friday, October 25, 2019, ePermit Center, EZ-Trade Permits, and Inspections Portal will no longer be available.
- The Office of Building Safety will offer a new online permitting services in January 2020.
Plan Submittal Requirements
All Commercial Plans submitted for review will require 2 paper copies and 1 PDF digital copy, combined in one document. (CD, Flash Drive, etc.).
For more information, please contact Community Development at 540-772-2065 using the following extensions:
- For Permitting and Development Review - Press 1
The next menu you will reach:
- Inspections and Permits - Press 1
- Site Plan Development Review - Press 2