Route 460 Land Use and Connectivity Study
September 2022 Community Meeting
The third and final community meeting was held on September 29, 2022, at Bonsack Elementary School. The goal of the meeting was to review the updated Potential Transportation Improvements and Future Land Use exhibits that reflect the feedback obtained at the May community meeting and through the online survey. Feedback on the September recommendations was collected through a survey that closed on October 10, 2022.
Meeting Presentation (this is a large file)
May 2022 Community Meeting
The purpose of the second community meeting held on May 18, 2022, at Bonsack Elementary School was to review and comment on recommendations generated by the January community meeting, survey results, stakeholder feedback and analysis conducted along the corridor. Proposed recommendations include:
- Existing road upgrades;
- New road connections;
- Future land use changes to set the stage for future development; and
- Pedestrian, bicycle, and greenway facilities.
May 2022 Survey Results - A total of 140 surveys were completed.
January 2022 Community Meeting
The purpose of the meeting held on January 13, 2022, at Bonsack Elementary School was to gather feedback and suggestions from residents and business owners alike on materials related to the study’s goals.
Meeting Exhibit Aerial (this is a large file)
January 2022 Survey Results - A total of 220 surveys were completed.
The U.S. Route 460 Land Use and Connectivity Study will guide future decisions and actions in the Challenger Avenue corridor over the next 15 to 20 years. The goals of the Study are to:
- Recommend ways to travel around the Bonsack community that are alternatives to Route 460/Challenger Avenue;
- Consider existing zoning classifications and future land use designations to determine potential changes to match desired development types; and
- Examine existing at-grade railroad crossings for potential improvements that may create development opportunities between the railroad and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Roanoke County and the Roanoke Valley Transportation Planning Organization requested and received funding for three projects in 2021 to improve safety and traffic flow along the Challenger Avenue corridor. Concept plans for each project are below.
- Route 460 at West Ruritan Road Intersection Improvements
- Route 460 Intersections from Carson Road to Huntridge Road
- Route 460 and Alternate Route 220 Intersection Improvements
- October 19, 2022: The Planning Commission and Economic Development Authority reviewed and discussed progress on the study to date at a joint meeting.
- November 9, 2022: The Board of Supervisors discussed the project at a work session on November 9, 2022.
- Early 2023: The Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors will hold public hearings on the draft study document.