- Government & Law
- Health & Medicine
- People Finders
- Seniors Issues
- BigCharts - A comprehensive and easy-to-use investment research website providing access to professional-level research tools, including historical stock prices back to 1970.
- Blue Ridge Business Journal - The Blue Ridge Business Journal is one of Virginia's oldest and most respected business publications.
- IQS Directory - Informative digital marketing articles, industrial supply chain product and service related news, tradeshow and manufacturing company lists.
- Minority Business Development Agency - This is the only federal agency created specifically to foster the establishment and growth of minority-owned businesses.
- National Women's Business Council - This bipartisan federal advisory council promotes policies and programs designed to support women's business enterprises.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) - The NAICS is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.
- Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce - Established in 1890, the Roanoke Regional Chamber remains dedicated to serving members by working to create an environment that's good for business.
- The Roanoke Times - Roanoke.com is the online version of the Roanoke Times newspaper.
- Roanoke Valley Alleghany Regional Commission - The commission promotes the orderly and efficient development of the physical, social, and economic elements of the district by planning and assisting localities to plan for the future.
- Roanoke Valley Convention and Visitor's Bureau - The bureau provides links to many area businesses and includes planning guides, maps, calendar of events, and a discount card.
- Roanoke Valley Economic Development Partnership (RVEDP) - Founded in 1983, the RVEDP markets the region to new and expanding companies worldwide. The website includes links to businesses, governments, and schools.
- The Roanoker Magazine - The magazine's website and annual almanac includes dining guides, reviews, a wedding guide, arts, entertainment, health, fitness, a calendar of events, and a relocation guide.
- Small Business Administration - The administration is an independent federal agency created to aid, counsel, assist, and protect the interests of small business concerns; preserve free enterprise; and strengthen the national economy.
- Small Business Reference Center offers exclusive full text for many top consumer small business reference books, as well as tools to address many small business topics. It includes business videos, a help and advice section and details on how to create business plans. Free with your library card!
- Thomasnet - The register helps industrial sellers target their marketing investment to reach to most qualified industrial buyers online and convert them into customers. Buyers use it to find suppliers.
- Virginia Business Magazine - The magazine provides business intelligence for/about Virginia's business community.
- Virginia Department of Business Assistance - The department is an organization that promotes economic growth by helping Virginia businesses prosper.
- Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service - Part of the University of Virginia, the center's areas of expertise include:
- Business and Economic Policy
- Minority Issues
- The Virginia Statistical Abstract
- Business and Economic Policy
Local Government Jobs
- Roanoke County Job Listings
- City of Roanoke Job Listings
- City of Salem Job Listings
- Town of Vinton Job Listings
Local & State Jobs
- Roanoke Times Classifieds
- Virginia Employment Commission
- Virginia Jobs
- Jobs with the U.S.A. - Federal job list updated daily
- America's Job Bank - Develop and post resumes online
Local School Jobs
- Roanoke County School Job Listings
- Roanoke City Public Schools Job Listings
- City of Salem Schools Job Listings
Online Job Services
- CareerBuilder - List of jobs worldwide
- Indeed.com - Single-search access to millions of jobs
- Monster.com - Employer overview gives background information into companies (products, services, and employee benefits.
- ZipRecruiter - Job seekers can one-click apply to as many jobs as they want. Job seekers who apply for a job using ZipRecruiter gets notified when their application is viewed and when it's rejected or accepted.
Free online searches of local jobs are available at the South County Library.
Employment Resource Guide
Take a look at this Employment Resource Guide (PDF) for assistance with your job search.
- Annual Credit Report - The FTC's brochure explaining your rights and how to order a free annual credit report.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) - The BBB reports provide information on more than 2 million organizations.
- Consumer.gov - Resource for consumer information from the federal government.
- Consumer Guide - Since 1970, the FCIC in Pueblo, Colorado, has been a trusted one-stop shop for answers to questions about consumer problems and government services. A trusted resource for consumers for more than 30 years.
- Consumer Reports provides ratings and buying advice for thousands of products. Find the best buys, most reliable brands and important safety features. Access anywhere, 24/7.
- Federal Trade Commission - The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides publications with advice on avoiding scams, as well as tips on other consumer topics
- Get Human - This database of company phone numbers that reach human customer service representatives features customer service reviews and a blog.
- Recalls - Online resource for government recalls.
- Wise Giving Alliance Charity Reports - This list reports on charities and organizations that solicit nationally and is updated on a regular basis.
- Consumer Resources for Car Buyers / Sellers
- All State Tax Forms
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Federal Tax Forms
- Government Benefits
- Roanoke County Board of Supervisors
- Virginia General Assembly
- Virginia State Tax Forms
- Advance Directive Forms are provided by the Virginia Health Department and the Virginia State Bar
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) - The CDC is recognized as the leading federal agency for protecting the health/safety of people, providing credible information, and promoting health.
- Drugwatch is a comprehensive resource about dangerous side effects and complications from commonly prescribed drugs and oft-used medical devices. Our mission is to educate people about medications they take and the devices that are in their bodies and then to provide resources to help people evaluate whether they have a legal case because of life-changing side effects or complications.
- FamilyDoctor - All of the information on this site has been written and reviewed by physicians and patient education professionals at the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
- Find a Dentist - Search for area dentists.
- Healthcare 411 - Healthcare 411 is a news series produced by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Download programs to your mobile media player or computer with a free subscription
- HealthFinder - This health resource is maintained by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- MedlinePlus - This health database is maintained by the National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine.
- Physician Finder- Find a doctor.
- Virginia Board of Medicine Practitioner Information - Check a doctor's credentials.
- WebMD - This website provides services to physicians, consumers, providers, and health plans.
Local Colleges & Universities
- Hollins University
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- Roanoke College
- Roanoke Higher Education Center
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia Western Community College
- Public School Review - The site evaluates schools relative to each other and to state-wide averages for several key criteria like teacher to student ratios.
- First Gov for Seniors
- National Council on the Aging
- National Institute on Aging
- Virginia Department for the Aging
Computers & Internet
- Alzheimer's Association
- Consumer Affairs
- The Merck Manual of Geriatrics
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- The Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare
- Medicare Part D
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Council for Affordable Health Coverage
- Financial Facts Tool Kit
- InvestorGuide: Retirement
- InvestorGuide: Estate Planning
- Social Security Administration
- Free Translation - Machine translation just provides a basic comprehension of text or web pages.
- Mango Languages - This is an online language-learning system that can help you learn many languages as well as English as a second language.
- Prompt Online - Machine translation just provides a basic comprehension of text or web pages.
- BayCon Group
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- LearningExpressLibrary - This is an interactive database of practice tests and tutorials designed to help students and adult learners. You'll get immediate scoring, complete answer explanations, and an individualized analysis of your results (access from the library).
- Lynda.com - American online education company offering video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skill. *Lynda.com is a Microsoft product; the County makes no promises as to Microsoft's use of patron data that the patron may share while accessing Lynda.com. Forgot your password? Click here.
- Mousercise - Practice your mouse skills.