The Roanoke County Sheriff's Office is proud of our jail and the staff who operate it. It is our philosophy to provide temporary supervised housing for persons entrusted to the Sheriff's Office's care, to meet their basic human needs, and also provide programs that will assist those persons in becoming a productive part of society upon release from our jail.
Division Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel Brent Hudson is a native of Salem and has proudly served the valley in a law enforcement role since 2001. Lieutenant Colonel Hudson is 1 of 9 close family members that have served in law enforcement and is a third generation officer following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather.
Lieutenant Colonel Hudson has a broad knowledge of law enforcement with his background as a police officer and as a deputy sheriff. Lieutenant Colonel Hudson believes in taking a positive role with our youth in the valley to prevent criminal behavior as well as providing a safe community for our citizens.
- Liberty University - Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice
- Roanoke City Police Academy - Law Enforcement Certification (2005) Cardinal Criminal Justice Academy - Jail/Court Services Certification (2002) National Jail Leadership Command Academy- Sam Houston State University
- Professional Executive Leadership School - University of Richmond
- Batten Institute of Leadership - Hollins College
General Instructor, Firearms Instructor, Patrol Rifle Instructor, Driving Instructor, IPMBA Patrol Bike Certified, School Resource Officer Certification
- To serve the citizens of this valley by providing a safe and secure Jail that operates on a fiscally responsible budget.
- To provide adequate education and special programs to inmates that will reduce recidivism.
- To work with community and faith based organizations to prevent criminal activity and provide educational programs for our youth.
- To hold accountability of this office and treat others with respect, dignity and honesty.
Kermit Moore has been a member of the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office since 1995, serving as Sergeant and Lieutenant in both the Civil and Corrections Divisions for the past 20 years. He has served as a firearms instructor, Range Master, and member of the Emergency Response Team.