(ROANOKE COUNTY, VA—May 8, 2018) Beginning Tuesday, May 8, 2018, Roanoke County’s General Services will be moving the recycling trailers in the Brambleton Center parking lot to a new location just down the hill behind the Cave Spring Rescue squad.
The new location will have more fencing to help with the littering issue and will also keep traffic out of the Brambleton Center parking lot. The Brambleton Center location was heavily utilized and vehicular traffic could be problematic during peak use times of both the trailers and the Center facilities.
As a part of announcing this move, Roanoke County would also like to formally announce that the recycling trailers at all locations will be single stream trailers. Single stream means that material can be commingled into any available compartment of the trailers – the materials do not need to be separated by type. This simple change, coupled with breaking down of boxes, will greatly increase the capacity of the trailers.
To find the closest recycling location to your home, or to see other information about your trash service, use your address on our new Trash Collection application at http://trashpickup.roanokecountyva.gov/TrashPickUp/.
We would also like to remind everyone about our recycling etiquette tips!
• Please break down any boxes before placing them in the containers. Formed boxes take up a lot of room and fill the containers quickly, wasting usable space.
• We currently accept plastics #1-7 (no Styrofoam) and all types of cans (aluminum, steel, and tin). New signs are currently being made for the trailers to indicate this change.
• Please do not place items where food residue cannot be removed, such as pizza boxes, Styrofoam containers, or aluminum foil (with food embedded on it), in the containers. Rinsing other food container items, while not required, helps maintain the overall cleanliness of the area and helps the person who sorts through the recyclables at the facility. Please do not place regular trash in or around the containers.
• If the recycling trailer that you normally use is full, please do not place items on the ground outside of the trailer. Loose material will blow around the site into neighborhoods and/or school grounds, which makes the neighborhood residents and school personnel upset and unwilling to allow the containers to remain for the community's use. Also, large amounts of recycling material and/or trash outside the containers limits the driver's ability to empty all of the containers assigned to that collection day as he/she spends a large amount of time cleaning up the mess.
• If the recycling trailer is full or not at its usual site, please visit another recycling trailer. If the container is not at the usual site, it is usually being emptied and will return shortly (especially during the week). The collection schedule for each trailer is listed under the recycling trailer list located on our website’s Recycling Page.
• The main item to remember is that the trailers are located in neighborhoods and/or schools to make them as accessible as possible. Please use the trailers properly so that the neighborhood residents and/or school personnel will not request that the trailers be removed due to excessive littering and trash dumping. We need your help to show prospective neighborhood sites that trailers are a worthwhile project for the community as a whole and not a nuisance.