A 17-year old male barricaded himself inside a home in the 5900 block of Dairy Road, off Plantation Road, about 6:30 p.m. Sunday. He did not live at the residence and witnesses told police they had seen him with a gun. Police attempted to talk with him but he refused to communicate. Shortly before 10:00 p.m., the male surrendered and was taken into custody. A handgun was recovered from the house. Police believe the male was involved with numerous thefts from vehicles on July 27 in the Penn Forest and Buck Mountain Road area. Detectives are trying to determine if the gun may have been taken from one of those vehicles or from somewhere else. Police were already seeking the following charges related to the thefts from vehicles on July 27:
- 18.2-308.7 Possession of firearm under age 18
- 18.2-146 Tampering with a vehicle (37 counts)
- 18.2-96 Misdemeanor Larceny (10 counts)
- 18.2-422 Unlawfully cover face to conceal identity
- 18.2-95(III) Larceny of a firearm
The investigation is ongoing and additional charges are pending.