Roanoke County Administrator Daniel R. O'Donnell was appointed by the Board of Supervisors in December 2018, effective January 5, 2019.
The County Administrator has direct responsibility for several Roanoke County departments, including:
- Clerk to the Board of Supervisors
- Economic Development
- Human Resources
- Internal Audit
- Management and Budget
- Public Information Office
In addition to his administrative duties, Daniel R. O'Donnell serves on the following boards:
- Roanoke Regional Partnership
- Roanoke Valley Alleghany Regional Commission
- Roanoke Valley Broadband Authority
- Roanoke Valley Resource Authority
- South Peak Community Development Authority
- Virginia's Blue Ridge (CVB)
- Western Virginia Regional Industrial Facility Authority
- Western Virginia Water Authority
Mr. O'Donnell has an extensive background in local government administration, including service as County Administrator for Steuben County, New York (1996 to 2000) and Berkeley County, West Virginia (1991 to 1996). Prior to 1991, he worked to promote economic development for two agencies in the Baltimore, Maryland area.
He has a Master's Degree in Public Administration from West Virginia University as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in History. He is a Certified Local Government Manager with the International City/County Management Association.
Mr. O'Donnell served as Roanoke County's Assistant County Administrator from June 2000 through December 2018. O'Donnell also served as Interim County Administrator from August 2015 through December 2015.