Click to Home
Go To Search
How to File Your Personal Property
How to report a newly purchased vehicle, a sold vehicle or moving into the County or Town of Vinton

      Also see our:
Online Personal Property Filing Form

File Your Personal Property Online
You may report your vehicle by using our online filing form and submit. You must have a Virginia Permanent Registration Card issued through the Department of Vehicles (DMV) to use the online filing form. We use the information you entered from the online filing and we verify the information through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to assure that we have the exact titling name on the registration card, the VIN number, the year, and the purchase (or move-in date). When you choose to use online filing, our office retains this information for auditing purposes.

File By Telephone
You can file over the telephone by giving the Clerk the owner's Social Security Number or the Virginia Title Number from the DMV registration card. You must have a Virginia Permanent Registration Card issued through the Department of Vehicles (DMV) for our office to locate the vehicle on the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) system. Once we enter the Social Security Number or Title Number and retrieve the vehicle information from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), then we can add the vehicle correctly and send a tax bill to the owner of the vehicle.

File by Fax, Mail or Visit the Commissioner's Office
If your vehicle is not registered at DMV then you may fax, mail, or come into our office with the Bill of Sale or Temporary Registration Card.

If you have just purchased a vehicle and have a Temporary Registration Card or a Bill Of Sale, per State Code of Virginia and the County Ordinance, you have 60 days to file your vehicle with our office before receiving a 10% late filing penalty. Dealerships have 30 days to register your newly purchase vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). After you have received the permanent registration within 60 days, please call our office at that time and report your vehicle.

If you register a vehicle by telephone and your name does not appear on the DMV records, we will take the information from you but once we start our process the information becomes confidential and we cannot discuss the tax bill with you after that point.

Reporting a Disposed, Traded or Sold Vehicle
You may call our office if you have disposed, traded or sold a vehicle within 60 days. If it has been more than 60 days you will need to report the disposal, trade or sold date to the Department of Motor Vehicle (D.M.V.) before calling our office or using the online filing. Please Contact Department of Motor Vehicle (D.M.V.) at 1-804-497-7100 or to remove the vehicle from the Department of Motor Vehicle (D.M.V.) records and then call our office.

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and the Commissioner of the Revenue must be notified of these transaction. This is the legal responsibility of the citizen, not that of the dealership or new owner.