1. Complete the Roanoke County Police Department’s Precious Metals Permit Application
2. Complete the Virginia State Police’s Criminal History Request (Form SP-187).
a. Please click here for instructions on completing this form.
Criminal History Request Instructions
3. Obtain a set of fingerprints from the Roanoke County Sheriff’s Office
a. Go to the front office of the Roanoke County Jail
, located at:
401 East Main Street, Salem, Virginia 24153.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
8:00 am – 12:00 pm
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
b. $5.00 CASH is required for each fingerprint card and only one fingerprint card is
c. MUST have valid photo identification.
4. Return the following items to the Roanoke County Police Department, located at 5925
Cove Road, Roanoke, Virginia 24019.
a. Completed Roanoke County Police Department’s Precious Metals Permit
b. Completed Virginia State Police Criminal History Request – signed along with
c. Payment can be a $15.00 money order to Virginia State Police or credit card
information, which is completed on the form.
d. Money order for $200.00 for the Treasurer, County of Roanoke.
e. Completed fingerprint card.
f. Current inspection and approval of ALL weighing devices that will be used at the
g. Bond or letter of credit as required by Code of Virginia.
5. The police department will send the information to the Virginia State Police for criminal
a. Conviction of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude (lying, stealing or cheating)
within seven (7) years will disqualify you.
b. The process can take up to 30 days to complete.
6. After receiving this information, the file will be given to the Chief of Police for approval.
7. After approval, the permit will be mailed to you at the business location or other
arrangements can be made.
Download a PDF of this page content