- Conviction of any felony/misdemeanor.
- Conviction of any crime involving moral turpitude (crimes contrary to justice, honesty or good morals).
- Minus 6 or more points on a Virginia Operators License or the equivalent for an out-of-state license will be subject to review on a case-by-case basis.
- Conviction of driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol, refusal to take blood or breath test, eluding police, racing or hit and run.
- Incidents that involve the suspension or revocation of driving privileges will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Conviction for possession, use or sale of any illicit drugs.
- Possession or use of any illicit drug will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Dishonorable discharge from any military service. Less than honorable or general discharges will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Untruthfulness or the falsification of any application, certificate, credential, interview, test, or documents associated with the position.
- Failure to provide complete and accurate information on any application or other documents associated with the position.
- Failure to comply with deadlines to return requested information to the background investigator.
- Failure to comply with applicant's appointment(s) schedule without prior notification to the background investigator.
- Credit history with a current unsatisfactory rating will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Not being a United States citizen.
- Background investigation indicating less than acceptable job performance with past employers.
- Incidents of past physical or mental abuse of anyone.
- Incidents of sexual harassment or sexual abuse of anyone.
- Obtaining a score that is below the established minimum standard on any test or evaluation administered during the selection process.
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position.
- Behavior unsuitable or inappropriate for a Deputy Sheriff as determined by the appointing authority.
- Visible tattoos on the ears, head, scalp, face, nose, eyebrows, neck, tongue, hands, or fingers. Regardless of location, tattoos which are racist, sexist, sexually suggestive or explicit, obscene or profane, gang or drug related, or advocating the overthrow of the government are prohibited. All other tattoos must be covered by long sleeve shirts or a fabric sleeve at all times while on duty. Call for details.
- Primary residence beyond 30 air miles of the Sheriff’s Office or outside of a 1-hour response.