How do I register to Vote?
Registering to vote is a uniform procedure statewide. You must either complete a Virginia Voter Registration Application
or a National Voter Registration Application
. Completed applications are accepted in person or by mail.
You can also register online
through the Virginia Department of Elections
To be eligible to vote in the next election, registration must be completed 21 days prior.
Applications are also available at:
- Voter Registration Offices in Virginia
- Government Agencies in Virginia, including
- Post Offices
- Public Libraries
- Division of Motor Vehicles locations
- Social Services
Once your application has been processed, you will be mailed a Voter Registration Notice which provides where you vote and your federal, state and local election districts.
Virginia Voter Registration Requirements:
- You must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- You must be a resident of Virginia.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by Election Day.
- You must not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- If you have been convicted of a felony, your voting rights must be restored.
- You must not be currently judged by a circuit court to be mentally incompetent.