Getting Prepared / Making Plans
Warnings & Alerts
Know Your Flood Plain
View the Roanoke County Floodplain App to see a rendering of Roanoke County’s floodways. You can search by Roanoke County street address or owner name. Select the layers to see floodways, 100 year floodplain, and the 500 year floodplain.
Cleaning Up After A Disaster
Crisis Cleanup has established a toll-free 800 number for citizens needing assistance with cleaning up after the storm. Hurricane Florence Home Cleanup Hotline: 800-451-1954 to request help from voluntary agencies. Learn more at the Crisis Cleanup website.
What You Can Do to Prevent Flooding Damage
- Clear out your roof gutters.
- Remove leaves and debris from storm drain inlets or ditch lines near your property.
- Elevate all valuable items off of the ground, particularly in basements.
- Park your vehicle on higher ground
- If you have to evacuate, unplug all appliances and electronics and turn off electricity at the main electrical box before leaving.
Alternate Language Emergency Preparedness Documents
Download Emergency Preparedness Booklets provided by the Office of Refugee Resettlement translated in English, Amharic, Arabic, Burmese, Chinese, Farsi, French, Nepali, Somali, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Sgaw Karen, and Karenni.