eBooks & More
Did you know that you can read or listen to books, newspapers, and magazines on most mobile devices, eReaders, or computers for free with your library card?
Use the OverDrive website access eBooks and eAudiobooks from anywhere with your library card.
Limits: 10 titles can be checked out at a time, 6 titles can be placed on hold at once, and check outs are 7 days.
Libby: Overdrive's App
Getting started with Libby is easy!
2. Log in by selecting your library system and entering your library card number.
3. Browse, borrow, and read from anywhere, 24/7.
Find in-depth stories about politics, economy, and culture of Southwest and Southside Virginia.
Newsbank The Roanoke Times Collection
Read full-text articles on local news, issues, events, and people, as well as current and archived issues of Roanoke Times. Updated daily, it includes obituaries, editorials, announcements, and other sections. View full images of the daily paper from 2018 to today and access full-text articles from 1990 to the current issue. Create alerts for specific search criteria, read and listen to articles, and save the items to your account.
Newsbank America's News
Discover 3,500+ newspapers and newsblogs throughout the US. Format ranges from text based, web sources, and full image.
Newsbank Virginia News Sources
Showcases 75 newspapers and newsblogs throughout Virginia. Format ranges from text based, web sources, and full image.
Newsbank's America's News Magazines
48 magazine sources (text based), Some dating as far back as 1991-present.
U.S. Major Dailies
Collects the contents of five major newspapers: Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post.
Ebsco provides access to a collection of ebooks, electronic versions of printed books that can be viewed on a computer connected to the Internet. You will find topics such as business, investing, computers, travel and much more.
Ebsco Books mobile apps can be downloaded from your favorite app store.
Free Downloadable eBooks
There are several sites on the Internet that provide free downloadable books:
- ePub Books provides a selection of high quality, free ePub Books.
- Feedbooks discover thousands of public domain books and original books from new authors that you can read on any mobile device.
- Googlebooks contains books that are out of copyright or for which publisher permission has been given. Some titles are previews and some are the entire text. If it's in the public domain, you are free to download a PDF copy.
- KoboBooks are geared toward helping book lovers enjoy eReading anytime, anyplace, on any device.
- Project Gutenberg is the place where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC or portable device.
- Snee is part of Project Gutenberg that contains children's picture books.