- Commissioner of the Revenue
Commissioner of the Revenue
NOTICE Effective March 18, 2020: To inquire about business license, personal property, business personal property, real estate tax relief for the elderly or disabled/veterans, real estate transfer information, state income tax assistance, excise taxes such as meals tax, transient, admissions, utility, we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2046 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may contact Business License by calling (540) 772-2050 or emailing BUSINESSLICENSE@roanokecountyva.gov.
A brown drop box is also located in the front parking lot to drop off payments and or information and forms.
The Commissioner of the Revenue is elected to serve the citizens of the Commonwealth by establishing the value of property for ad valorem tax proposed within the County and applying the tax rates established by the Roanoke County Board of Supervisors.
The County of Roanoke Commissioner of the Revenue provides fair and equitable assessments for taxation as set forth by the Code of Virginia, Title 58 on Taxation and the Code of Roanoke County as adopted by the Board of Supervisors. The Commissioner of the Revenue's office is responsible for:
- Assessments and audits of individual and business personal property
- Issuance, renewals and audits of business licenses
- Real Estate Transfers and Real Estate Tax Relief administration
- Assistance and processing of Virginia State Income Tax Returns
- Assessment of Bank Franchise and Public Service Corporation taxes
- Administration of excise (trust) taxes
The office also maintains the Real Estate Land Books, Personal Property Land Books, and collects prepared food, beverage and lodging taxes. The Commissioner of the Revenue is a constitutional officer elected by the citizens of Roanoke County to serve a four-year term.
- Do I qualify for Real Estate Tax Freeze for the Elderly and Disabled?
- How do I update my tax records after I have disposed of a vehicle?
- How is my real estate value assessed?
- How do I find what I paid for Real Estate and Personal Property taxes last year?
- Who do I make checks payable to?
- Where can I find information about Real Estate Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans?