State Income Tax
Who Must File Virginia State Income & Estimated Tax?
Filing requirements are based on residency, status, and income amounts. Students and dependents follow the same guidelines. Residents and part-year residents with income at or above the minimum threshold must file. Nonresidents with income at or above the filing threshold must file if any of their income is from Virginia sources.
All individuals, estates and trusts with the following income must file a Virginia Income Tax Return. The income threshold amounts are:
- Single and your Virginia adjusted gross income is less than $11,950
- Married filing jointly and your combined Virginia AGI is less than $22,900
- Married filing separately and your Virginia AGI is less than $11,950
- Individuals who earn less than the threshold amounts to file, but had withholding or made estimated payments, must file to receive a refund.
- Resident Trust and Fiduciary filing must be completed if you are required to file a federal return.
- Nonresident Trust and Fiduciary filing must be completed if you were required to file a federal return and there is income or gain derived from Virginia sources at or above the filing threshold.
This office has all Virginia Individual and Fiduciary filing forms available for your use. Failure to receive a form does not relieve you of your obligation to file before the deadline. Should you need assistance, call or visit our office. Please bring a copy of your Federal Return including all schedules. The deadline for filing is May 1, however, if this date falls on a weekend or legal holiday, the deadline is the next business day. Any payment due must be attached to your return.
Virginia now grants all taxpayers an automatic six month extension of time to file. Calendar year filers have until November 1 to file. An extension of time does not extend the amount of time you have to pay any balance due. A form 760IP needs to be filed with your payment. If you are not going to have a balance due, do not file Form 760IP.
Virginia Estimated Income Tax
At least 90% of your tax liability for the year must be paid throughout the year by withholding and/or installments of estimated tax. Declarations are provided for paying current state income tax in excess of the amount withheld from wages and other sources of income. This is required of individuals, estates, and trusts whose tax liability exceeds $150 with an exception for Farmers and Fisherman. If you filed an estimated tax form last year, a new one will be sent to you automatically. If you need to file for the first time, contact our office and request Form 760ES or download at Virginia Tax (or call 540-772-2049).
Schedule For Estimated Income Tax
- May 1: 1st Quarter Estimated due for 2011
- June 15: 2nd Quarter Estimated due for 2011
- September 15: 3rd Quarter Estimated due for 2011
- January 15: 4th Quarter Estimated due for 2011
Check the Status of your Virginia State Tax Refund
Make certain you have a copy of your return when you call 804-367-2486, or visit Virginia Tax.
Make checks payable to:
Treasurer of Roanoke County
P.O. Box 21709
Roanoke, Virginia 24018
For more Information call 540-772-2049 or email Income Tax Coordinator Ann Alvis.
Federal Tax Information
Federal tax forms will not be available in our office this year due to a change in the IRS distribution program.
- Tax Forms Phone: 800-829-3676
- General Assistance Phone: 800-829-1040
- Refund Information Phone: 800-829-4477