Flood Insurance

Flood Damage Is Not Covered by Homeowners Insurance

It is important to know that homeowners insurance policies do not cover losses due to flood damage. The only way to be reimbursed for flood damage is to purchase flood insurance. Because Roanoke County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), flood insurance is available to everyone in the County.

In fact, County residents are eligible to receive a 10% discount on their flood insurance premiums. To learn more, read the latest PRESS RELEASE.

If you live in or near a floodplain, it is highly recommended that you get information about your level of hazard and the possibility of purchasing flood insurance. You may purchase flood insurance even if you do not live in a floodplain.

Items Covered by Flood Insurance

  • Buildings that are under construction
  • Contents of structures (available to owners and renters)
  • Manufactured homes or travel trailers, if anchored to a permanent foundation
  • Walled and roofed structures principally above the ground

Items Not Covered by Flood Insurance

  • Buildings completely over water
  • Buildings more than 50% below ground
  • Gas and liquid storage tanks
  • Motorized vehicles
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, etc.
  • Unanchored manufactured homes