Residential: Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical

Elec Plumbing Banner

Select an option below to find information about Trade Permits for new Installations or alterations to any existing Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical systems.

  1. Do I Need a Permit?
  2. Who Should Apply?
  3. Documents
  4. Process
  5. Payment and Fees
  6. Typical Inspections

Do I Need a Permit?

If you are doing any of the following projects you will need a Trade Permit.
(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)

  • Sump pumps
  • New and replacement HVAC equipment (A/C)
  • New plumbing fixtures
  • Repair and replacement of main drain lines
  • Installing a lawn irrigation system, backflows
  • Addition or modification of electric circuits (breaker panels, service upgrade or change, new or replacement wiring, over-current devices, panel board, entrance cables, etc.)
  • Electric car charging equipment
  • New and replacement gas appliances (generator, water heaters, gas furnace, etc)