- Development Services
- Building Safety
- Building Permit Guides
- Residential Building Permit Guides
- Residential: Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical
Residential: Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical
Select an option below to find information about Trade Permits for new Installations or alterations to any existing Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical systems.
Do I Need a Permit?
If you are doing any of the following projects you will need a Trade Permit.
(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)
- Sump pumps
- New and replacement HVAC equipment (A/C)
- New plumbing fixtures
- Repair and replacement of main drain lines
- Installing a lawn irrigation system, backflows
- Addition or modification of electric circuits (breaker panels, service upgrade or change, new or replacement wiring, over-current devices, panel board, entrance cables, etc.)
- Electric car charging equipment
- New and replacement gas appliances (generator, water heaters, gas furnace, etc)
Who Applies for the Permit?
- The homeowner is encouraged to have a licensed electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or gas contractor apply for the permits, however, the homeowner may do so.
- Applying for a permit is an important decision because the permit holder(s) bears the ultimate responsibility that the work will comply with the code.
Documents Needed for your Project
See the links below for frequently requested documents for typical projects.
- Trade Application
- Owner Affidavit - Needed if homeowner is doing the work to their own primary residence
- Fill out the documents needed.
- Email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring to the Roanoke County Administration Building, 2nd floor.
- A Permit Tech will work up the permit as you wait or call you when it is ready for payment if sent by email (Approximate turnaround time is 8 hours)
- Permit and receipt will be returned to the applicant by email if applied by email or handed to applicant at the counter. (Print Permit from the email)
- Post Permit at the site.
- Call for inspections.
- Verify Permit Inspections are complete and permit is closed.
Payment and Fees
Accepted payment methods:
- Check (made payable to the County of Roanoke)
- Credit card (VISA, MasterCard)
For an estimate on your Permit cost, use our FEE ESTIMATOR for Trade Permits.
All Trade Permits are also subject to a State Levy Fee of 2% and a Technology Fee of 5% also shown on the last field on the FEE ESTIMATOR.
Call 540-772-2065 when ready for inspections.
**Inspections may vary due to the type of project. Always call for an inspection before covering.**
Information needed to request an inspection:
- Application Number (Found on the Issued Permit)
- Address of the job
- AEP work order number if power is needed
Typical Inspections for Trade Permits …
Certain electrical inspections may require AEP involvement – Please call AEP at 1-800-956-4237 to obtain a work order number before calling for an inspection.
- Rough-In Electrical
- Final Electrical
- Service Change
- Electrical Underground
- Current Only
- Entrance Cable
- Temporary Pole
- Rough-In Mechanical
- Final Mechanical
- Gas line
- Rough-In Plumbing
- Final Plumbing
- Lawn Sprinkler
- Sewer line
- Plumbing groundwork
**Inspections may vary due to the type of project.
**Always call for an inspection before covering.